Sources of formation of modern scientific botanical nomenclature in Ukrainian Language
Journal Ukrainian Language №3 (67) 2018
Dr. Philol. Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of the Ukrainian Language of Uzhgorod National University
14 University St., Uzhhorod 88000, Ukraine
Abstract: The scientific botanical nomenclature of the Ukrainian language is an ordered harmonious system built on the model of Latin. It consists of subsystem generic and species names as well as the names of other taxa: families, orders, classes, departments. The basis of this system is generic names from which the names of all other taxa are formed. The core of generic botanical names is the generic Ukrainian plant names, primarily botanical names, inherited from the Proto-Slavonic language. The scientific botanical nomenclature is replenished with new single-token names as a result of word-formation, rethinking of commonly used words, borrowing botanical names from other languages. Slightly less than half of the Ukrainian scientific names of the genera of plants form foreign-speaking elements. Their main mass is transliterated Latin scientific botanical names. Generic names were also replenished with complex nominative units. Specific definitions in the binary names of plant species are mainly translations of Latin, partly Russian equivalents. The original Ukrainians form a smaller part.
Keywords: botanical nomenclature, botanical names, term, sources of botanical nomenclature, history of Ukrainian terminology.
- ЕСУМ – Zerova, M.Ya., Yelin, Yu.Ya., Kozjakov, S.M. (1979). The etymological dictionary of the Ukrainian language: 7 v. 1982 – 2012. Mushrooms: (edible, conventionally edible, inedible, poisonous). Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Кобів – Kobiv, Yu. (2004). Dictionary of Ukrainian scientific and popular names of vascular plants. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- ОВРУ – Dobrocheev, D.N. (et al.) (1987). Determiner of higher plants of Ukraine. Kуiv (іn Rus.).
- СІС – Dictionary of foreign language words (1985). 2nd ed., corr. and add. Kуiv (іn Ukr.).
- СУМ – Dictionary of the Ukrainian language: 11 volumes (1970 – 1980). Kуiv (іn Ukr.).
- Фасмер – Facmer, M. (1986 – 1987). The etymological dictionary of the Russian language: іn 4 v. Tr. from Germ. and add. by Trubachev, O. 2nd ed., stereotype. Moscow (іn Rus.).
- Bilokonya, I.P., Lipа, O.L. (ed.). (1965). Dictionary of Botany. Kyiv (іn Ukr.)
- Volyan, V. (1854). The basic foundations of botany for the lower gymnasium and the lower real schools in this area Austrian state. Vienna (іn Ukr.)
- Identifier of plants of Ukraine (1950). Kyiv – Kharkiv (іn Ukr.)
- Identifier of plants of the Ukrainian Carpathians (1977). Kyiv (іn Ukr.)
- Lipa,L., Dobrovolsky, I.A. (1975). Botany : Systematics of lower and higher plants. Kyiv (іn Ukr.)
- Melnyk, (1922). Ukrainian nomenklatura of the highest plants. Lvіv (іn Ukr.)
- Dictionary of the botanical nomenclature (Project) (1928). Kyiv (іn Ukr.)