Journal Ukrainian Language №2 (62) 2017
PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher of the Department of Lexiсology, Lexicography and Structural and Mathematical Linguistics, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi st., Kyiv, 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: The article is dedicated to the system description of the rhyme functions in the Ukrainian language. The main purpose of the article is a comprehensive study of the role of rhyme as a variety of sound repetition that has sense value at different lingual levels as well as in different realms of language functioning. The object of our study is words with final consonance. The urgency of the work is caused by linguistic approach to the rhyme study. The applied system approach to rhyme can reveal its lingual essence and, accordingly, describe its functions at different language levels. The principle of historicism stipulates the logic exposition of material from pragmatic to verification hyperfunction.
The research analysis shows that rhyme is usually regarded as an object of literary studies and it is limited accordingly to describing its functions in a poetic text. The number of such functions depends on the author and varies from 2 to 12. The generalizing table contains 25 functions.
Systematization of information about rhyme and its functional potential cause distinction of wide notion called hyperfunction and concrete implementation of hyperfunction known as function. It has been revealed 9 functional blocks: 1) pragmatic hyperfunction (includes magical sacred, suggesting, persuasive, mnemotechnical and playing functions), 2) sense (heuristic function), 2) connective (cohesive function), 4) phonic (instrumental, euphonic), 5) aesthetic (ornamentational), 6) versificational (rhythmic, metric, verse-marking, strophic, genre-defining), 7) stylistic (emotive expressive), 8) creative, 9) additional – verificational (includes exemplificational function). The most important for the Ukrainian rhyme are phonic, sense and connective hyperfunctions. Systematization of rhyme functions gives a clear understanding about rhyme as lingual phenomenon and outlines the prospects of its research, especially beyond the poetic text.
Keywords: rhyme, rhyme function, hyperfunction.
- Баран – Baran, Ye. (2010). How I Became Yevhen. Revelation at Pegasus Cafe: Writers About Me. Anecdotes. Recipes: a compilation. P. 24 – 26. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- БТ – Stavytska, L. (2008). Ukrainian without taboos: Dictionary of obscene language and its correspondents. Obscenisms. Euphemisms. Sexualism. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Гончар – Honchar, O. (2002). Diaries: in 3 vol. Vol. 1: 1943 – 1967. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- ДФ – Dovzhenok, H.V. (Ed.). (1986). Children’s folklore. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- EСГ – Hrinchenko, B. (2015). Collected Works. Ethnographic heritage. Book. 1. Mysluva, O.M., Yaremenko, V.V. (Eds.). Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- EСУM – Etymological Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language: In seven volumes. (1982 – 2012). Vol. 1 – 6. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Номис – Paziak, M.M. (Ed.). (1993). Ukrainian sayings, proverbs and more. By M. Nomys. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- СГ – Hrinchenko, B. (Ed.). (1996 – 1997.). Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language: In four volumes. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Antonenko-Davydovych, B.D. (1994). How are we talking? Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Bartminsky, E. (2005). On the ritual function of repetition in folklore: to the question of the poetics of the sacral. The linguistic image of the world: Essays on ethnolinguistics. 405– 417. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Berkovets (Bondarenko), V. (2013). Features and functions of grammatical rhyme in Ukrainian folk blood orders. Chernivtsi University Scientific Bulletin: Coll. Sciences. wash. 659: Romance-Slavic discourse. P. 207– 210. Chernivtsi (in Ukr.).
- Volynskyi, P.K. (1967). Fundamentals of theory of literature. Introduction to Literary Studies. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Galperin, I.R. (1981). Text as object of linguistic research. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Gasparov, M.L. (2001). Rhyme. Nikoliukin, A.N. (Ed.). A literary encyclopedia of terms and concepts. 878– 880. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Honcharenko, S. (1987). Spanish rhyme: uch. pos. at the course “Stylistics of the Spanish language”. Moscow (in Rus.)
- Dudyk, P.C. (2005). Ukrainian Language Stylistics: textbook. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Zhirmunsky, V.M. (1923). Rhyme, its history and theory. Petrograd (in Rus.).
- Zhuravlev, A.F. (1982). Technical capabilities of the Russian language in the field of subject nomination. Methods of nomination in modern Russian. 45 – 109. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Ivaniuk, B.P. (2017). Poetic Speech: A Dictionary of Terms. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Katsnelson, A.I. (1968).The true spark of Prometheus. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Kachurovskyi, I. (1994). Fonika: textbook. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Kovalevskyi, V.V. (1965). Rome: Rhythmic Means of Ukrainian Poem. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Kovaliv, Yu.I. (2007). Encyclopedia of Literature: In two volumes. T. 2. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Crymskyi, A.Yu. (1928). Intelligence, articles and notes. I – XXVII. Collection of historical and philological department. Aug. 57 (in Ukr.).
- Levyi, I. (1974). The art of translation. Convert with Czech. and past V. Rossels. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Matveeva, T.V. (1985). Rhymed repetition as an expressive lexical unit. Lexical and grammatical semantics. 82 – 91. Novosibirsk (in Rus.).
- Moiseeva, E.A. (1988). Rhyming Slang in Modern English: Abstract. diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.04. 16 Leningrad (in Rus.).
- Moisiienko, A.K. (2016). Folk riddle in the textual-discursive dimension. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Moskvin, V.P. (2009). Theoretical foundations of poetry. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Ponomariv, O.D. (1999). Culture of the Word: Linguistic Tips: Educ. manual. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Puriaieva, N.V. (2013). Our Father Prayer: The Road to the Ukrainian House. V. Nimchuk, N.V. Puriaieva. Ukrainian “Our Father”: Readings of the Translation. P. 13 – 79. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Rezhabek, E.Ya. (2003). Mythology: Cognitive analysis. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Samoilov, D.S. (1973). A book about Russian rhyme. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Bilodid, I.K. (Ed.). (1973). Contemporary Ukrainian Literary Language: Vocabulary and Phraseology. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Taranenko, O.O. (2007). Reduplication. Ukrainian language: Encyclopedia. 568 – 569. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Timofeev, V.P. (2009). The rhymes dictionary of Sergei Yesenin. Shadrinsk (in Rus.).
- Timofeev, L.I. (1959). Basics of the theory of literature. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Tkachenko, A.O. (2003). The Art of the Word: Introduction to Literary Studies: A Textbook. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Fedotov, O.I. (1997). Basics of Russian Poem: Metrics and Rhythm. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Chabanenko, V.A. (1984). Basics of language expression. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Schengeli, G.A. (1960). Verse technique. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Shuliak, S.A. (2014). Sacred rhythm of the language of Ukrainian folk orders in the context of the magico-mythological ideology of pre-Christian phenomena in the outlook of Ukrainians. Language and History: Coll. Sciences. wash. 325: Ethnolinguistics. P. 4 – 10. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Głowiński, M., Kostkiewiczowa, T., Okopień-Sławińska, A., Sławiński, J. (2010). Słownik terminów literackich. Wyd. 5. Wrocław (in Pol.)
- Hrabák J. (1958). Introduction to verse theory. Praha (in Chesh).
- Jacobson, R. (1987). Selected writings. Vol. 1: Major works, 1976 – 1980. Berlin – New York – Amsterdam (in Eng.).