EXPRESSION OF THE CATEGORY OF DIMINUTIVITY
Journal Ukrainian Language №2 (62) 2017
Corresponding Member of the NAS of Ukraine, Professor, Dr. Sci. (Philol.), Head of the Department of Lexicology, Lexicography and Structural-Mathematical Linguistics, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: The second part of the article is dedicated to the analysis of semantic transformations of words, which encompass suffixes, formal markers of diminutive-hypocoristic meanings. Some of them have features of diminutivity: приквітничок, чашолистики. Others have undergone metaphoric shift: стрілка, човник. Some of them attesting decrease of size, generalize the meaning of formative word and add to it specialized components. A great number of biological terms indicate desemantisation of diminutives and transfer of their meanings.
Keywords: diminutivity, diminutive desemantisation, semantic word-formation, family of words, composite formation, family of nominations, term formation, specialization of meanings.
- SUBT – Dictionary of Ukrainian Biological Terminology. (2012). Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- CUM-11 – Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language: in 11 vol. (1970 – 1980). Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- DNGL – Babiniotis, G. (2005). Dictionary of the New Greek Language: Aeneas: Lexicology Center (in Greek).
- Bondarko, A.V. (1990). Functional grammar theory. Temporality. Modality. Leningrad (in Rus.).
- Horbach, F.H. (1954). The main means of expressing decrepitude in French: an abstract. diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.05. 14 Kiev (in Rus.).
- Dombrovskyi, R.O. (1989). Semantics and performance of the -ellu- denominative suffix in Late Latin. Foreign Philology. 95. Questions of classical philology, 21, 7 – 12. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- N.F. (2015). Deminitive category in Eastern Slavic and Modern Greek additives. Deminitives in Slavic Languages: Form and Role.P. 170 – 183. Maribor – Budapest – Kansas – Prague (in Ukr.).
- Mathesius, V. (2003). On the potentiality of linguistic phenomena. Selected works on linguistics.Moscow (in Rus.).
- Rodnina, L.O. (1979). The suffixal word formation of nouns in modern Ukrainian. Dictionary of Contemporary Ukrainian Literary Language. P. 57 – 117. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Ruda, N.V. (2015). Deminitive Desemantization: Causes and Functions (in Ukrainian, Latin and English). Linguistic and conceptual pictures of the world. 55. Part 2. P. 257 – 261. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Symonenko, L.V. (1991). Formation of Ukrainian biological terminology. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Stateeva, V.I. (1982). Deminivization in Ukrainian: abstract. diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.02. 19 Uzhhorod (in Ukr.).
- Tomizhina, G.Ya. (1974). Leveling down the diminutiveness of nouns formed by subjective assessment suffixes. Abstracts and reports of the Inter-University Scientific Conference on East Slavic Word Formation. P. 97. Kyiv (in Rus.).