Journal Ukrainian Language №3 (63) 2017
PhD in Philology, Junior Researcher of the Department of Grammar and Scientific Terminology, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: The article analyzes the phenomenon of the variance in syntactic terms of the Ukrainian language. Clarified views on terminological synonymy, variation and doubling.
The common phenomenon of describing a concept by several names is variability. It distinguishes into synonymy and doubling by such criterion as the interchangeability of terms in contexts. Argues the phenomena of synonymy and variability are those that entering into subsumption relations. The concept of variance is wider than the synonyms. For the purpose of organizing the metalanguage of variance offer to describe the phenomenon, which is cohyponym of synonym named as a doublet.
A solution to the problem of terminological coincidence of variance metalanguage is proposed. A term that describes the general features of the language system and term that refer a formal distinction of identical in meaning units are distinguished. The phenomenon of double nomination in Ukrainian syntactical terminology is presented in such way: formal variants (doublets) and semantic variants (synonyms) with their subgroups.
Also, this research is devoted to the classification of syntactic terms to refer the identical or similar in meaning units. It combines traditional (structural and semantic) and cognitive-discursive approaches.
The conclusion is made that variability of terms is an indicator of the dynamics of the language system because any expression of universality is no development of language. The existence of this phenomenon destroys the language system by increasing linguistic units, and, therefore, information, and therefore is evidence of openness terminology syntax Ukrainian language, which, like other open systems, becomes more complex formation.
Keywords: term, syntactic terminology, variability, theory of variology, synonymy, doubling.
- Averbukh,Ya. (2006).General theory of the term. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Apresyan,D. (1995).Selected works. Lexical semantics (synonymous means of language). Moscow, (in Rus.).
- Akhmanova,O.S. (1996). Dictionary of Linguistic Terms. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Berezhan,S.G. (1973). Semantic equivalence of lexical units. Chisinau (in Rus.).
- Boytsov,I.A. (1989). On the issue of synonymy in term systems. The language of the specialty in the classes in Russian as a foreign language. 30 – 35. Leningrad (in Rus.).
- Borchwaldt,O.V. (1998). Synonymy and variability of special vocabulary (to the problem of formation of terminology of Russian gold industry). Linguistic variability. 88 – 102. Krasnoyarsk (in Rus.).
- Vinokur,G.O. (1999). The problem of speech culture. Culture. Humanitarian Knowledge: Scientific Heritage Vinokura and modernity. P. 342 – 355. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Golovanova.E.I. (2011). Introduction to cognitive terminology. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Golovin,B.N., Kobrin,R. (1987). Linguistic basis of the doctrine of terms. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Gorbachevich, K.S. (1978). Word variance and language norm. Leningrad (in Rus.).
- Grinev-Grinevich, S.V. (2008). Moscow (in Rus.).
- Danilenko, V.P. (1977). Russian terminology: the experience of linguistic description. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Zahnitko,P. (2012). The Dictionary of Modern Linguistics: Concepts and Terms: in 4 vols. T. 1. Donetsk (in Ukr.).
- Ivanov, A.V. (2004). Meta-language of phonetics and metrics. Arkhangelsk (in Rus.).
- Ivanova, G.A. (2010). On the semantic equivalence of terminological units (on the material of linguistics meta-language). Terminology and knowledge. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium (Moscow, May 21 – 22, 2010). P. 181 – 191. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Ivanova, G.A. (2011). Synonyms in the terminological system of linguistics meta-language. Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University N.I. Lobachevsky, 6 (2), 199 – 203. (in Rus.). URL: http://www.unn.ru/pages/issues/vestnik/99999999_West_2011_6/44.pdf.
- Kvitko, I.S. (1976). A term in a scientific paper. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Kolomiets, V.T. (1982). Action. The Etymological Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language: in 7 vol. 1. P. 59. Kyiv (in Ukr.)
- Kochan, I.M. (2008). Variants and synonyms of terms with international components. Bulletin of the National University “Lviv Polytechnic”. Series: Problems of Ukrainian Terminology. № 620. P. 14 – 19 (in Ukr.). URL: http://tc.terminology.lp.edu.ua/TK_wisnyk620_kochan.htm.
- Kochan, I.M. (1992). Synonymy in terminology. Linguistics, 3, P. 32 – 34.
- Larina,E. (2007). Pragmatics of the term as a semiotic property: on the material of Russian linguistic terminology: diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 164 p. Rostov-on-Don (in Rus.).
- Leychik, V.M. (1973). Terms-synonyms, doublets, equivalents, variants. Current problems of lexicology and word formation, 2, 103 – 104. Novosibirsk (in Rus.).
- Lemov, A.V. (2000). System, structure and functioning of scientific term (on the material of Russian linguistic terminology): diss. … Dr. Philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 359 Saransk (in Rus.).
- Lotte,S. (1961). Fundamentals of scientific and technical terminology construction: Questions of theory and methodology. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Liubarskyi, S.B. (2008). System organization and creation of modern Ukrainian agricultural terminology: abstract. diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 19 Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Martyniak, O.A. (2010). Synonymy and variability in Ukrainian scientific and technical terminology: diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 399 Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Mykulchyk, R.B. (2008). Synonymy of terms with surnames in the physical term system. Bulletin of the National University “Lviv Polytechnic”. Series: Problems of Ukrainian Terminology. Num. 620. P. 104 – 106 (in Ukr.).
- Mykhailova, T.V. (2004). Synonymous relations in Ukrainian scientific and technical terminology. Bulletin of Lviv Polytechnic National University, 503, 53 – 57 (in Ukr.).
- Molodets,M. (1978). Classification of synonyms of Russian and German linguistic terms by source language. Linguistics, 3, 51 – 56 (in Ukr.).
- Nezhenets, E.V. (2003). The variability of Russian terms of jurisprudence in systemic and communicative-pragmatic aspects: abstract. diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 23 Dnepropetrovsk (in Ukr.). URL: http://disser.com/contents/3177.html.
- Nechytailo, O.I. (1987). Synonyms in lexicography. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Nikitina, S.E. (1987). Semantic analysis of the language of science: on the material of linguistics. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Novostavska, O.I. (2011). Synonymy in the philosophical terminological system of Ivan Franko. Ukrainian Literary Studies, 74, 102 – 106 (in Ukr.). URL: http://www.lnu.edu.ua/faculty/Philol/www/eng/literature/74_2011/74_2011_o.novostavska.pdf.
- Omelchuk,A. (2014). Paradigmatic relations in Ukrainian linguistic-didactic terminology. Collection of scientific works of Uman State Pedagogical University. Part 2. P. 270 – 276 (in Ukr.). URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/j-pdf/znpudpu_2014_2_38.pdf.
- Polshchykova, O.M. (2010). Synonymy in Ukrainian telecommunications terminology. Bulletin of Lviv Polytechnic National University. Series: Problems of Ukrainian Terminology. № 675. P. 42 – 44 (in Ukr.). URL: http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/portal/natural/Vnulp/Ukr_term/2010_675/10.pdf.
- Popovych, R.H, Vakulenko, O.L. (2004). Terminological variability in the nominative aspect. Bulletin of the Ivan Franko Zhytomyr State University, 17, 215 – 217 (in Ukr.). URL: http://eprints.zu.edu.ua/1986/1/04ppgvna.pdf.
- Rogozhnikova, R.P. (1967). The ratio of word variants, one-root words and synonyms. Lexical synonymy. P. 151 – 163. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Rozvodovska, O.V. (2011). The phenomenon of synonymy in business terminology. The Philological Series. Aug. 20. P. 259 – 267. Ostroh (in Ukr.).
- Slozhenikina,V. (2006). Terminology in the lexical system: functional variation: dis. … Dr. Philol. Sciences: 10.02.01. 302 p. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Stoianov, I.A. (2006). Relative. Etymological dictionary of the Ukrainian language: in 7 vols. 5. P. 55. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Superanskaya, A.V., Podolskaya, N.V., Vasilyeva, N.V. (2012). General terminology: questions of theory. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Taranenko, O.O. (2004). Options. Ukrainian language: Encyclopedia. P. 62 – 63. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Tatarinov, V.A. (1996). Theory of Terminology: in 3 vols. T. 1. Theory of the term: History and present state. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Tiahor,V. (2010). Synonymization processes in the field of financial terminology of modern English. Studio Linguistica, 4, 375 – 378 (in Ukr.).
- Yermolenko, S.Y., Bybyk, S.P., Todor O.H. (2001). Ukrainian: short explanatory dictionary of linguistic terms. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Fedina, E.A. (2013). Synonymous relations in German medical terminology: diss. … Cand. philol. Sciences: 10.02.04. 199 Irkutsk (in Rus.).