ANALOGY IN UKRAINIAN VERB WORD FORMATION
Journal Ukrainian Language №4 (64) 2017
PhD in Philology, Researcher of the Department of Lexicology, Lexicography and Structural and Mathematical Linguistics, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: The article deals with the influence of analogy on the formation of Ukrainian verbs, participles and verbal nouns, including the occasionalisms. Confirmed that the analogy as a language universal is actively functioning in the Ukrainian verbal word formation.
The analyzed phenomenon of the analogy in the Ukrainian verbological word-formation (mostly suffixal) proves that the word-building subsystem of the Ukrainian language system has resources that, if necessary, use language practice for the creation of new nominations. These nominations pass time tests and are fixed in the language or remain at the level of potential or occasional words. An analogy in the verb verbal translation of Ukraine confirms the thesis that the existence of such transformations is a universal for human language.
Keywords: verb, word formation, analogy, occasionalism.
- Vykhovanets, I., Horodenska, K. (2004). Theoretical morphology of the Ukrainian language. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Drai-Khmara, M.O. (1969). Favorites. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Karpilovska, Ye.A. (2005). Non-visual word formation: rules of the game without rules. Bulletin of the Kiev National Linguistic University. Philology series. 8. No. 1. P. 106 – 117(in Ukr.).
- Klymenko, N.F. (2007). A potential word. Ukrainian language. Encyclopedia. 473 – 474. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Klymenko, N.F. (2014). Potential and realized words. Selected works. P. 503 – 516. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Klymenko, N.F. (2014). Word-formation analogy in metam translation dictionaries. Selected works. 348 – 357. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Kovalyk, I.I. (2007). Issues of word-forming homonymy and synonymy in the field of Slavic nouns. The doctrine of word formation: selected works. Part I. P. 288 – 313. Ivano-Frankivsk – Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Krytska, V.I., Nedozym, T.I., Orlova, L.V., Puzdyreva, T.K., Romaniuk, Yu.V. (2011). Grammar dictionary of Ukrainian literary language. Word change. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Nikitina, F.A. (1973). The influence of analogy on word formation: on the material of related languages. Kyiv (in Rus.).
- Saussur, F. de. (1998). General Linguistics Course. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Tychyna, P.H. (1973). Selected works. Vol. 1. Kyiv (in Ukr.).