Journal Ukrainian Language №4 (68) 2018
Candidate of Philological Sciences, Prof. Head of the Department of Ukrainian studies and language training for foreign nationals Simon Kuznets Kharkiv National University of Economics
9-A Nauky Ave., Kharkiv 61166, Ukraine
Abstract: The article contains analysis of the scientific heritage of Oleksiy Vetukhov, who worked from the 1890s to the 1920s, concerning the Potebniana: “O.O. Potebnia” (1898), “Potebnianstvo” (1923), “Academician M. Sumtsov and Potebnianstvo” (1926), “Toward the understanding of Potebnia (Critical and bibliographical remarks)” (1926). The meaning of the concept word potebnianstvo, which students, followers and supporters of the scientific views of O.O. Potebnia used for designating the teacher’s circle and applying ideas of the scholar to explain new aspects of the humanitarian science, and modern linguistics considers as philosophical and linguistic conception, linguistic direction, philosophical and poetological school, philological school of O.O. Potebnia, direction of the development of the knowledge about society, has been revealed.
The basic ideas of linguo-philosophy of O.O. Potebnia, according to O.V Vetukhov, have been characterized: vision of the language work as symbiosis of literary and scientific thinking, creative energy of which gives birth to the word understood as thought; vision of the poetical energy of peoples (expressed in tropes and figures) which gives birth to myth understood as outlook; acknowledgement of language symbolism, the word as metaphor, primarily beginning which always contains a number of new symbols; understanding of literary creativity as continuity of the words symbolism.
The features of pedagogical work of O.O. Potebnia has been characterized on the basis of the materials from memoirs (A.H. Hornfeld, V.I. Khartsiev, D.I. Ovsianyko-Kulykovskyi, M.F. Sumtsov), reviews of Kharkiv University’s professors (I.I. Sreznevskyi, B.M. Liapunov, I.V. Netushyl) that were analyzed by O.V. Vetukhov.
It has been emphasized on the theoretical and methodological aspects of the multisided activity of the scholar that laid the fundament of the scientific school of O.O. Potebnia: thinking through images, dynamism and logic of speaking; dialogical way of telling, conversation; strategy of questioning and answering.
It has been researched the basic task of the Potebnians which is an attempt to build up the coherent theory based on the problems of creative psychology of the author as the subject of creation, image and thinking, research method, content and form, attempt not only to reconstruct the theory of O. O. Potebnia, but also to deepen it.
It has been accentuated on the features natural to representatives of the Kharkiv philological school that were shaped under the impact of O.O. Potebnia: argumentation and detail of the scientific description, plenty of facts, evolutionary historicism, absence of absolute definitions and characteristics, usual to the language studies of the first half of the nineteenth century; it has been underscored that the researchers followed the principle of scientific nature of the philological cognition regardless the ideological doctrines of that time.
Keywords: O.V. Vetukhov, О.О. Potebnya’s philological school, potebnianstvo, psychological direction in linguistics.
- Bahalii, D. (1924). Oleksandr Opanasovych Potebnia: General characteristics: (A speech at the solemn assembly in Kharkiv INO on the 32nd anniversary of the death of Potebnia). Chervonyi shliakh, 4 – 5, 143 – 159 (іn Ukr.).
- Vetukhov, A. (1898). Aleksandr Afanasevych Potebnia (29th of November 1891). RFV. Vol. 39, 37 – 82 (іn Rus.).
- Vetukhov, A. (1923). Potebnyanstvo. Native language at school. Vol. 1, 110 – 116; Vol. 2, 106 – 108 (іn Rus.).
- Vetukhov, O. (1924). Akad. M. Sumtsov and potebnianstvo. Scientific collection of Khariv science and research Department of Ukrainian History. In memory of acad. M.F. Sumtsov. Vol. I, 1 – 4 (іn Ukr.).
- Vetukhov, A. (1913). From memories about A. A. Potebnia ([died] 29th of November 1891) from one of his last listeners R. Y. Kashyrenynova ([died] 24th of June 1896). VKhYFO, 3, 45 – 48 (іn Rus.).
- Vietukhov, O. (1927). From the Potebnia committee’s archive: (Excerpts from the correspondence with Potebnia regarding Ukrainian orthography). Notes of the historical philological department VUAN. Vol. 13 – 14, 304 – 310 (іn Ukr.).
- Vetukhov, O. V. (1928). Potebnia’s Festival at KhINO on 25th of November 1928. Zap. KhINO, 3, 3 – 4 (іn Ukr.).
- Vetukhov, O.V. (1926). To understanding of Potebnia. Critical and bibliographical remarks. Scientific collection of Kharkiv scientific research department of history of Ukrainian culture. V. 2 – 3. (Dedicated to memory of prof. O. Potebnia). P. 11 – 38. Kharkiv (іn Ukr.).
- Vetukhov, O.V. (1925). Life of a word (The base of poetic theory): For teacher and self-education. Kharkiv (іn Ukr.).
- [Horbach O.] (1970). Potebnianstvo. Entsyklopediia ukrainoznavstva. Paris – New York, Vol. 6. P. 2279 Sign.: O. H. (іn Ukr.).
- Dablo, L.H. (2012). The Kharkiv period of creativity of D. Ovsianyko-Kulykovskyi. Ukrainian culture: the past, the present, the way of development, 18 (2), 50 – 54. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Uk_msshr_2012_18(2)__13. (Accessed 15.10.2018).
- Dzendzelivskyi Y.O. (2004). Vetukhov Oleksii Vasylovych. Ukrainian. Encyclopedia. P. 66 – 67. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Yermolenko, S.Ia. (2017). The estetic concept of O.O. Potebnia and modern stylistics. Cul’tura slova, 83, 6 – 12 (іn Ukr.).
- Lysychenko, L.A. (2006). Linguosophic ideas of O.O. Potebnia. Oleksandr Potebnia: Modern view: the materials of international reading, devoted to 170th anniversary of birth of Kharkiv philological school founder (Kharkiv, 11–12th of October, 2005). P. 6 – 15 (іn Ukr.).
- Lezyn, B. (1927). On the combination of the psychological method of studying artistic creativity with the Marxist. Native language at school. Vol. 6, 90 – 105 (іn Rus.).
- Marchenko, E. S., Kalynychenko, E. S. (2014). Aleksei Vetukhov: the fate at the turn of epochs. “Lunovsky reading”. Materials of scientific and practical seminars (2010 – 2014). – Kharkiv, P. 174 – 185. URL: http://dspace.univer.kharkov.ua/handle/123456789/12165 (Accessed 15.10.2018).
- Potebnya, A.A. (1977). From notes about Russian grammar. V. IV. Iss. 2. The Verb. Moscow (іn Rus.).
- Rainov, Т. (1924). Aleksandr Afanasevych Potebnia. Petrohrad, 110 p. URL: http://elib.gnpbu.ru/text/raynov_a-a-potebnya_1924/go,12;fs,0/ (Accessed 17.11.2018).
- Sinchenko, O. (2015). Neopotebnyanstvo of Borys Navrotskyi. Synopsys: text, context, media, 2. URL: http://dspace.univer.kharkov.ua/handle/ 123456789/12165 (Accessed 10.10.2018).
- 20. Sumtsov, (1926). To history of scientific influence of O. Potebnia. Scientific collection of Kharkiv scientific research department of history of Ukrainian culture, 2 – 3, 5 – 10 (іn Ukr.).
- Toporkov, A.L. (2016). Vetukhov Aleksei Vasylevych. Russian folklorists. Bibliographic dictionary. XVIII – XIX c.: In 5 vol. V.1: A – H, 623 – 630. Saint Petersburg (іn Rus.).
- Franchuk, V.Iu. (1975). Oleksandr Opanasovych Potebnia. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Franchuk, V.Iu. (1985). Oleksandr Opanasovych Potebnia. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).