Journal Ukrainian Language №4 (68) 2018
PhD in Philology, Senior Researcher of the Department of Lexiсology, Lexicography and Structural and Mathematical Linguistics, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi st., Kyiv, 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: The article is devoted to the usage of the method of directed associative experiment in the study of the modern Ukrainian rhyme. The experiment was divided in four stages: preparation, organization and realization, rhyme association dictionary compiling, interpretation of results.
A few hypotheses were formulated before the beginning of experiment. Firstly, the rhyme segment is perceived as an undivided element. Secondly, there are norms of rhyme compatibility in the Ukrainian caused by its phonological features. Rhyming standards are embedded into the mental lexicon of native-speakers and proved by poetic practice. Thirdly, pattern associations tally with the poetic rhyme cliché. Fourthly, it is possible to reveal common and peculiar associations.
Experiment certified the phonological, lexical and semantic regularities of rhyme associations’ choice. It is argued that rhyme nucleus is the main phonological factor of associative property. The composition of nucleus is variable; the stressed vowel is mostly constant. The pattern associations were revealed and its identity to the rhyme cliché was proved. The peculiar associations include normative words, nonce-words, dialecticisms, slang words, archaisms, barbarisms and substandard words. The results of study confirmed importance of rhyme in organization of words in native-speakers’ conscious.
The results of the associative experiment and the dictionary in particular may be applied as a source of data for the study of modern rhyme usage in phonological and lexical aspects. The study showed the necessity of comparison of potential speech rhyming capacity to potential lingual rhyming capacity. In prospect the pattern rhyme pairs and chains that present cultural knowledge of Ukrainians deserve more intent attention. The results of experiment are of value for study of mechanisms of memorizing and lingual influence.
Keywords: rhyme, rhymology, directed associative experiment, rhyme associations dictionary.
- Бутакова – Butakova, L. (2012). Materials to Associative-semantic Dictionary of Omsk Population. Omsk (in Russ.).
- Бутенко – Butenko, N. (1979). Dictionary of Associative Norms of the Ukrainian. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- Герганов – Gerganov, E. and others. (1984). Bulgarian Norms of Word Associations. Sofia (in Bulg.).
- Гуц – Gutz, Е. (2004). Associative Dictionary of Teenager. Omsk (in Russ.).
- Добровольский – Dobrovolskij, D., Karaulov, J. (1994). Associative Phraseological Dictionary of Russian. Moscow (in Russ.).
- Караулов – Karaulov, J., Tcherkasova, G., Ufimtzeva, N., Sorokin, J., Tarasov, E. (2002). Russian Associative Dictionary. In 2 vol. Moscow (in Russ.).
- Карпенко – Karpenko, О. (2006). Associative Dictionary is the Way to the Nature of Proper Names. Logos onomastike, 1, 8 ‒ 21 (in Ukr.).
- Ковалевська – Kovalevska, Т., Sologub, G., Stavchenko, O. (2001). Associative Dictionary of Ukrainian Advertisement lexicon. Odesa. (in Ukr.).
- Кутуза – Kutuza, N., Kovalevska, Т. (2011). Short Associative Dictionary of Advertisement slogans. Odesa (in Ukr.).
- Манликова – Manlikova, M. (1989). Associative Dictionary of Russian ethno cultural lexicon. Frunze (in Russ.).
- Мартінек – Martinek, S. (2007). Ukrainian Associative Dictionary. In 2 vol. Lviv (in Ukr.).
- ПБД – Parameterized Database of Modern Ukrainian Poetic Lexicon. URL: http://www.mova.info/Page3.aspx?l1=96 (in Ukr.).
- Санчес Пуиг – Sánchez Puig, М., Karaulov, J., Tcherkasova, G. (2001). Associative Norms of Spain and Russian. Moscow – Madrid (in Russ.).
- СУР – Burjachok, A., Huryn, I. (1979). Ukrainian Rhyme Dictionary. Кyiv (in Ukr.).
- Уфимцева – Ufimtzeva, N., Tcherkasova, G., Karaulov, J., Tarasov, E. (2004). Slavic Associative Dictionary: Russian, Byelorussian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian. Moscow (in Russ.).
- EAT – XML version of Edinburgh Associative Thesaurus (EAT). URL: http://rali.iro.umontreal.ca/rali/?q=en/XML-EAT
- Kurzc – Kurzc I. (1967). Polskie normy powszechności skojarzeń swobodnych na 100 słow z listu Kent ‒ Rozanoffa. Studia psychologiczne. T. VIII (Nadbitka) (in Pol.).
- Maršálová – Maršálová L. (1972). Slovno-asociačné normy: metodická príručka. Diel 1, 1.-4. trieda ZDŠ. Bratislava. (in Sloven.).
- Novák – Novák Z. (1988). Volné slovní párové asociace v češtině. Praha. (in Czech).
- USF-FAN – XML version of the University of South Florida Free Association Norms (USF-FAN). URL: http://rali.iro.umontreal.ca/rali/?q=en/USF-FAN
- Goncharenko, S. (1995). Symbolic Sound-Painting: Quasi-Morpheme as Internal Word in the Process of Poetic Communication. Language – System. Language – Text. Language – Ability. Moscow. P. 161 ‒ 170 (in Rus.).
- Karaulov, J. (2010). Russian Language and Lingual Individuality. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Leontjev, А. (1969). Psycholinguistic Units and Producing of Speech Utterance Moscow (in Rus.).
- Lurija, A. (1979). Language and Conscience. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Lubimov, J. (1977). Nature of Association: Word Memory Structure and Associative Meaning Concept. Dictionary of Associative Norms of the Russian. P. 25 ‒ 32. Moscow (in Rus.).
- Movchun, L. (2015). Means of Figurative Representation of Knowledge about the Rhyme in the Poetic Text. Linguostylistic Studies, 2, 91 – 99. Lutsk (in Ukr.).
- Movchun, L. (2013). Rhyme Associations: Treatment of the Method of Rhyme cliché Experimental Study. Methods and Historiography of Linguistics. Slovjansk. P. 190 – 192 (in Ukr.).
- Movchun, L. (2017). Ukrainian Rhyme in the Language System and Language Practice. Ukrainian Language, 2, 84 ‒ 97 (in Ukr.).
- Nefjodova, V. (2003). Zone of Phonetic Reaction in Associative Dictionary of Pupil (on Russian and English Material). Abstract of Ph. D. Thesis. Speciality 10.02.19 «Theory of Language». Saratov (in Rus.).
- Samojlov, D. (1973). The Book of Russian Rhyme. Moscow (in Rus.).
- 11. Simovych, V. (1919). Ukrainian Grammar for Self-Training and Help of School Education. Кyiv – Leipzig (in Ukr.).
- 12. Keostler, A. (1989). The Act of Creation. London.