Journal Ukrainian Language – №4 (72) 2019
Ukrainian Language, 2019, № 4(72)
Postgraduate student of the Department of Stylistics, Language Culture and Sociolinguistics, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskogo, St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: In recent years, we have seen a growing attention of linguistic scientists to the study of phenomena of linguistic personality, background knowledge, linguistic picture of the world, mentality, as well as concepts that are defined in the scientific literature as precedent.
The connection between mental units that function in different types of text has been noticed for a long time. Attempts to his theoretical understanding have been reflected in different approaches to the analysis of these phenomena within the field of linguistics.
More and more researchers are paying attention to the precedent phenomenon, which is causing some terminological inaccuracy in the use of the terms “precedent phenomenon” and “precedent unit”.
The relevance of this article is due to the need to differentiate between these concepts, which are basic for linguocognitology. For our purpose, we see the definition of differential features that are essential for each of these terms. In order to achieve this goal, the following tasks must be solved: to critically analyze the existing definitions, to generalize and organize the features that are inherent in each concept, and to define the term “precedent language unit”. The methods of analysis, synthesis, descriptive method, lexico-semantic analysis of terms were used in writing this study.
Speaking of these three terms: “precedent phenomenon”, “precedent unit” and “precedent language unit”, we have to understand that first of all they are different in their relation to different levels: reality, consciousness, communicative and discursive reality.
When referring to a precedent phenomenon, usually mean the ability of linguistic units to act as carriers of culturally relevant information for a particular linguistic and cultural community at a certain historical time. The precedent phenomena “live” in the human mind.
Keywords: precedent phenomenon, precedent unit, precedent language unit.
- ПА – precedent artifact.
- ПВ – precedent statement.
- ПГід – precedent hydronym.
- ПІ – precedent name.
- ПMO – precedent language unit.
- ПO – precedent unit.
- ПОс – precedent personality.
- РС – precedent phrase.
- ПТ – precedent text.
- ПТоп – precedent place-name.
- ПФ – precedent.
- ПФр – precedent phraseology.
- ПЦ – case quotation.
- Adzinova, A.A. (2007). The phenomenon of precedent in the titles of creolized texts (on the material of the language of glossy magazines). Maykop (in Rus.).
- Bacevуch, F.S. (2007). Glossary of terms of intercultural communication. Kуіv: Trust. P. 79 – 181 (in Ukr.).
- Bogdanova, I.V. (2016). Suggestive potential of precedent units in the Ukrainian media discourse of the early 21st century. Vinnуtsa (in Ukr.).
- Boіko, O.O. (2018). The role of precedent utterances in contemporary Ukrainian fantasy (based on the works of Dara Kornius “Gonyhmarnik” and Max Fry “Tales of Old Vilnius”). Notes on Ukrainian Linguistics, 25, 97 – 105 (in Ukr.).
- Golubeva, N.A. (2007). Word. Text. Discourse. Case Studies. Language, communication and social environment, 7, 152 – 168. Voronezh: VSU (in Ukr.).
- Kazimirova, I.A. (2010). Representation of the terminology of precedent in the dictionary of linguistic terms. Edukacja dla przyszłości. Białystok: Wyźsza Szkoła Finansόw i Zarządzania w Białymstok. VIII. P. 143 – 151 (in Ukr.).
- Karaulov, Yu.N. (2007). Russian language and linguistic personality. Moskva: Publisher LKI (in Rus.).
- Krasnykh, V.V. (1997). A system of precedent phenomena in the context of contemporary research. Language, consciousness, communication, 2, 5 – 12 (in Rus.).
- Krasnykh, V.V. (2002). Ethno-psycholinguistics and linguocultural studies. Moskva: Gnosis (in Rus.).
- Krasnykh, V.V. (2003). “Yours” among “strangers”: myth or reality. Moskva: Gnosis (in Rus.).
- Moiseenko, L.V. (2010). Application of concept-frame models for the interpretation of precedent units. Perspectives on the global world through the prism of the Spanish language and culture: research and teaching. Papers and abstracts of the IV International Scientific Conference of Spanish (01 – 04.04.2010). P. 265 – 269 (in Rus.).
- Moiseenko, L.V. (2015). Linguocognitive bases of the theory of precedent. Moskva (in Rus.).
- Rubtsova, S.Yu. (2019). Update of precedent mythonyms in the discursive space of the English language (for example, the precedent units “Apollo” / “Apollonian” and “Dionysus” / “Dionysian”). Philological Sciences. Questions of theory and practice, 12, 169 – 174. Tambov: Certificate (in Rus.).
- Ruda, O.H. (2016). Precedent as a sign of the linguistic landscape of Kyiv. Language: classic – modern – postmodern: a collection of scientific works, 2, 163 – 174 (in Ukr.).
- Sakharuk, I.V. (2015). Case studies as a means of realizing suggestion in Ukrainian media discourse. Philological Studies: Scientific Bulletin of Krivoy Rog National University: Coll. of sciences, 13, 337 – 345. Krуvуі Rіh: NPP Asterix (in Ukr.).
- Selivanova, O.O. (2011). Linguistic Encyclopedia. Poltava: Environment (in Ukr.).
- 17. Slyshkin, GG. (2000). From text to character. Linguocultural concepts of precedent texts in consciousness and discourse. Moscow: Akademia (in Rus.)
- 18. Sіuta, Н.M. (2017). Text as an object of knowledge and the concept of precedent theory. Native word in ethno-cultural dimension. P. 214 – 222. Drohobych (in Ukr.).
- Teliya, V.N. (1988). Metaphorization and its role in the creation of the Russian language picture of the world. The role of the human factor in language: Language and picture. P. 173 – 204. Moscow: Nauka (in Rus.).
- 2 Shevchenko, M. (2015). Case studies in the system of teaching Ukrainian as a foreign language. Studio Ukrainica Posnaniensia, III, 311 – 315 (in Ukr.).