Journal Ukrainian Language №2 (66) 2018
PhD in Philology, Senior Research Scientist of the Department of Grammar and Scientific Terminology, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
4 Hrushevskyi St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine
Abstract: In this article the problem of fixing of morphological forms of nouns in the Ukrainian dictionaries of different time and its linguistic qualification the most authoritative grammars of literary Ukrainian is analyzed, in particular accusative case on -а (-я), accusative case of the plural in form of nominative case, dative case with endings -ові, -еві (-єві) and locative case on -у (-ю), -і (-ї), -ові, -еві (-єві). These morphological forms of nouns through disparity between prescriptive and descriptive norms present most difficulties during their fixing in the newest lexicographic sources. They are regulated modern prescriptive grammatical norm, that is why they necessarily need to be fixed in modern lexicographic sources.
Forms of the second accusative of nouns of masculine of the second declension, that denoting well-defined objects are organic for Ukrainian, present her specific and prescriptive does not contradict to the language norm. Application of prepositional forms of accusative on –а (-я) corresponds to traditions of Ukrainian also, but as yet is a descriptive morphological norm.
Forms of dative case are on -ові, -еві (-єві), that them all nouns of masculine (both names of creatures and names of uncreatures) and part of nouns of neuter can have in accordance with a modern prescriptive norm, in language practice under influence of extralinguistic factors are still inferior to their activity before forms on –у (-ю).
In the local case, in modern linguistic practice, contrary to the prescriptive morphological norm, we observe the following tendencies: the expansion of the range of nouns of the second declension of masculine and neuter singular with the ending of the –ові, -еві (-єві), denoting uncreatures, the limitation in the functioning of the prepositional form of the “по + noun with the ending
-і (-ї)” and giving preference to the prepositional case form “по + noun on
Forms of accusative of plural that coincide with a nominative also belong to the original morphological features of literary Ukrainian and are signs of folk language. These forms are widely used and continue to be use in fiction and somewhat less frequently – in a publicism.
Generally speaking, descriptive norms during the conclusion of dictionaries must be based on reflection of connection between codified grammatical forms with their real embodiment in living language practice.
Keywords: prescriptive grammatical norm, descriptive grammatical norm, morphological norm, noun, ending, accusative case, second accusative case, dative case, locative case, genitive case, nominative case, masculine, neuter, names of creatures, names of uncreatures.
- ГСУЛМС, 2011 – Kryts’ka, V.I., Nedozym, T.I., Orlova, L.V., Puzdyrieva, T.K., Romaniuk, Yu.V. (Eds.). (2011). Grammatical dictionary of literary Ukrainian. Inflexion. Kyiv: Vydavnychyj Dim D. Burago (in Ukr.).
- ПС, 1994 – Holoskevych, H. (Ed.). (1994). Dictionary of spelling. Niu-York – Paryzh – Sydnai – Toronto – L’viv (in Ukr.).
- СДК, 2016 – Kolibaba, L., Fursa, V. (Eds.). (2016). Dictionary of verbal government. Kyiv: Lybid’ (in Ukr.).
- Тараненко, 2003 – Taranenko, O.O. (Eds.). (2003). Inflexion of Ukrainian. Nyíregyháza (in Ukr.).
- УОС, 2009 – Chumak, V.V. (Ed.). (2009). Ukrainian spelling dictionary. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Antonenko-Davydovych, B.D. (2010). As we talk. Kyiv: Knyha (in Ukr.).
- Vykhovanets’, I.R. (1971). A syntax of accusative is in modern Ukrainian. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Vykhovanets’, I.R. (1987). System of cases of Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Vykhovanets’, I., Horodens’ka, K. (2004). Theoretical morphology of Kyiv: Pul’sary (in Ukr.).
- Vykhovanets’, I.R. (2012). Speak on Ukrainian: linguistic etudes. Kyiv: Pul’sary (in Ukr.).
- Hinzburh, M. (2012). About the forms of accusative in Ukrainian scientific texts. Ukrainian language, 4, 29 – 40 (in Ukr.).
- Holovashchuk, S. (1989). A reference Dictionary-book is from spelling and word usage. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Holovashchuk, S. (2004). A reference Dictionary-book is from the Ukrainian literary word usage. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Horodens’ka, (2014). The Ukrainian word is in measuring of present time. Kyiv: KMM (in Ukr.).
- Horodens’ka, K. (2017). Grammatical norms of literary Ukrainian and modern practice of professional association. Dyvoslovo, 4, 40 – 45 (in Ukr.).
- Hrunskii, N.K. (1918). Ukrainian grammar. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Zhovtobriukh, M.A. (1970). Language of the Ukrainian periodic press. (An end of ХІХ is beginning of ХХІ of century). Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Zahnitko, A.P., Zahnitko, N.H. (2015). A grammatical norm is in modern lexicographic practice. Naukovi zapysky Natsional’noho universytetu “Ostroz’ka Akademiia”. Seriia “Filolohichna”. Aug. 57. Ostrog: Vyd-vo NaUOA. Pp. 13 – 17 (in Ukr.).
- Zinkevych-Tomaniuk, B. (2008). Prescriptive character of norm of modern Ukrainian and language practice (variant and forbidden forms of nouns, adjectives and verbs). The fifth International Congress of Ukrainists. Linguistics. Chernivtsi: Ruta. Pp. 98 – 104 (in Ukr.).
- Kernyts’kyi, I.M. (1967). The system of inflexion is in Ukrainian. On materials of sights of XVI of century. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Kots’, T.A. (2010). A literary norm is in a functionally-stylistic and structural paradigm. Kyiv: Logos (in Ukr.).
- Kurylo, O. (2004). Attention to modern literary Ukrainian. Kyiv: Osnovy (in Ukr.).
- Lanova, T. (2010). Actualization grammatical forms in broadcasting of teachers of higher educational establishment (sociolinguistics research). Naykovyi visnyk Khersons’koho derzhavnoho universytetu. Seriia “Linhvistyka”. Aug. 12. Kherson: Vyd-vo KhDU. Pp. 55 – 61 (in Ukr.).
- Yermolenko, S.Ya., Bybyk, S.P., Kots’, T.A. (Eds.). (2010). Literary norm and language practice. Nizhyn: Aspekt – Polihraf (in Ukr.).
- Matviienko, O. (1930). Nominative and genitive form of accusative. Collection of state central courses of Ukrainian studies. Kharkiv, 43 – 56 (in Ukr.).
- Ohiienko, I. (mytropolyt Ilarion). (2010). The mother tongue. Kyiv: Nasha kultura i nauka (in Ukr.).
- Ohiienko, I. (mytropolyt Ilarion). (2011). Our literary language. Kyiv: Nasha kultura i nauka (in Ukr.).
- Ponomariv, O. (2013). Ukrainian word for all and each. Kyiv: Lybid’ (in Ukr.).
- Syniavs’kyi, O. (1931). Norms of literary Ukrainian. Kharkiv – Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Solohub, N.M. (1975). Variant endings of locative case of singular of nouns of the second declension. Morphological structure of modern Ukrainian. Kyiv: Naukona dumka, 83 – 96 (in Ukr.).
- Sulyma, M. (1928). Ukrainian phrase. Kharkiv (in Ukr.).
- Bilodid, I.K. (Ed.). (1969). Modern literary Ukrainian: Morphology. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Bilodid, I.K. (Ed.). (1972). Modern literary Ukrainian: Syntax. Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Pliushch, M.Ya. (Ed.). (1994). Modern literary Ukrainian. Kyiv: Vyshcha shkola (in Ukr.).
- Hryshchenko, A.P. (Ed.). (1997). Modern literary Ukrainian. Kyiv: Vyshcha shkola (in Ukr.).
- Dolenko, M.T., Datsiuk, I.I., Kvashchuk, A.H., Popovs’kyi, V.D. (Eds.). (1964). Modern Ukrainian. Kyiv: Radians’ka shkola (in Ukr.).
- Ponomariv, O.D. (Ed.). (2008). Modern Ukrainian. Kyiv: Lybid’ (in Ukr.).
- Taranenko, O.O. (2005). Modern tendencies to the revision of normative principles of literary Ukrainian and phenomenon of purism (within the limits of grammatical categories of noun). Linguistics, 3 – 4, 85 – 104 (in Ukr.).
- Ukrainian spelling. (1928). Kharkiv: Derzhavne vydavnytstvo Ukrainy (in Ukr.).
- Ukrainian spelling. (1933). Kyiv: Radians’ka shkola (in Ukr.).
- Ukrainian spelling. (1946). Kyiv: Ukrains’ke derzhavne vydavnytstvo (in Ukr.).
- Ukrainian spelling. (1960). Kyiv: Vyd-vo AN URSR (in Ukr.).
- Ukrainian spelling. (1997). Kyiv: Naukona dumka (in Ukr.).
- Faska, G. (1976). Norm of the Serblozhitsky (literary) language and its codification. Problemy normy v slavjanskih literaturnyh jazykah v sinhronnom i diahronnom aspektah. Doklady na ІV zasedanii Mezhdunar. komissii po slav. lit. jaz. (22 – 25 oktjabrja 1974 g.). Moskva: Nauka. Pp. 93 – 107 (in Russ).
- Kharchenko, S. (2017). Syntactic norms of literary Ukrainian of ХХ – beginning of ХХІ of century. Kyiv: Milenium (in Ukr.).
- Chak, Ye.D. (1978). Difficult cases of grammar and orthography. Kyiv: Radians’ka shkola (in Ukr.).
- Chak, Ye.D. (1984). Difficult cases of the use of words. Kyiv: Radians’ka shkola (in Ukr.).
- Sherekh, Yu. (1951). Essay of modern literary Ukrainian. Miunkcen (in Germ.).
- Yunosova, V.O. (2003). A variant of case endings of nouns is in modern literary Ukrainian. Kyiv: Znannia Ukrainy (in Ukr.).
- Yavors’ka, H.M. Prescriptive linguistics as discourse: Language, culture, power. Kyiv (in Ukr.).