System “STIMULUS” analizing the associative experiment results
Journal Ukrainian Language №2 (66) 2018
UDC 81’23: 81’33: 81-116
PhD in Philology, Assoсiate Professor, National Academy of Statistics, Accounting and Audit
1 Pidhirna St., Kyiv 04107, Ukraine
Abstract: The article describes the computer system “STIMULUS” specially designed for a complex analysis of associative fields of stimuli (cue words). “STIMULUS” can be used as universal instrument for analysis of concepts as well as concept groups in different branches of linguistics such as associative, cognitive, applied, computer linguistics and many other fields of humanities. The “STIMULUS” functions, operational abilities, parameters calculated as well as prospective of its development are given. The System can analyze both lexical and connotative components of a word meaning realized in the associative field of the word. The parameters calculated with “STIMULUS” are also presented in dynamics. Two and more stimuli can be compared simultaneously. The “STIMULUS” gives visual support of the data for more thorough analysis. The “STIMULUS” is the first step in the computerization of the Ukrainian associative linguistics. The System was tested on the analysis of associative fields of Ukrainian social and political lexis and illustrates the results of the free associative experiment carried on in Ukraine in 2013 – 2016. It is obviously important research task according to sharp social and political change in Ukraine of that time. In the article the associative fields of the words конституція (constitution), нація (nation), патріот (patriot), лідер (leader), армія (army), прем’єр-міністр (prime minister) and others are considered. The results show that associative fields can include not only verbal units but also symbols and pictures. The verbal target words on Ukrainian cue words can be given not only in Ukrainian but in Russian, English and other languages as well. Every associative field includes the percentage of resignation to associate. The connotative component of the cue word has dynamics which depends on the non-lingual factors. The notions нація (nation), лідер (leader), армія (army) are positive for the Ukrainians and the notion прем’єр-міністр (prime minister ) is negative.
Keywords: associative experiment, social and political lexis, computer technology, associative field, connotations, cue word, target word.
- АП – associative field
- КС «STIMULUS» – Informational and analytical system of collecting and analyzing associative data «STIMULUS»
- ЛСВ – lexical and semantic variant
- МКС – language worldview
- R – reaction (association)
- St – stimulus
- Apresjan,D. (1963). Modern methods of studying meanings and some problems of the structural linguistics. Problems of the structural linguistics. Moscow: Nauka, 102 – 149 (in Rus.).
- Associative experiments and dictionaries online. URL: http://it-claim.ru/Projects/ASIS/ (Accessed 10.2016).
- Butenko,P. (1979). Ukrainian associative norm dictionary. L’viv: Vyscha Shkola, vyd-vo pry L’viv. derzh. un-ti (in Ukr.).
- Goroshko, E.I. (2001). Integral model of the free associative experiment. Har’kov : Izd. gruppa «RA – Karavella» (in Ukr.).
- ZahorodniaF. (2013). The system evaluating the associations and associative links connotations. Language and Culture. Aug. 16. Vol. 5 (167). Kyiv: Vyd. Dim Dmytra Buraho, 28 – 37(in Ukr.).
- Klimenko, P. (1970). Questions of psycholinguistic studying of semantics. Minsk: Vysshaja shkola(in Rus.).
- Kutuza, N.V., Kovalevs’ka, T.Yu. (2011). Short associative dictionary of advertising slogans. Odesa: Astroprynt (in Ukr.).
- Leont’ev,A. (1976). Psychological structure of meaning. Word semantic structure. Psycholingistic researches. Moscow: Nauka (in Rus.)
- Leont’ev, A.A., Shahnarovich, A.M. (1983). Psycholinguistic problems of semantics. Moscow: Nauka (in Rus.).
- Martinek, S. (2007). Ukrainian associative dictionary: in 2 vol. L’viv: Vyd. tsentr L’vivs’koho derzh un-tu im I. Franka (in Ukr.).
- Scientific and educational cluster CLAIM (Computer Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Multimedia and more). URL: http://it-claim.ru/ (Accessed10.2016).
- Nedashkivs’ka, T.Ye. (2011). Specificity of conceptualization of modern notions in public area (applied aspect). Language and Culture. Aug. 14, Vol. 2. Kyiv: Vyd. Dim Dmytra Buraho. Pp. 21. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/ UJRN/Mik_2011_14_2_6 (Accessed08.2015).
- SIBAS – Russian region associative database (Sibir and Far East) (2008 – 2016) (authors: Shaposhnikova, I.V., Romanenko, A.A.). URL: http://adictru.nsu.ru, http://adictru.nsu.ru/about (Accessed10.2016).
- Sternin, I.A., Rudakova, A.V. (2011). Psycholinguistic meaning of the word and its description. Moscow: Lambert (in Rus.).
- Terekhova, D.I. (2013). Basic associative strategies of eastern Slavs (on the examples of the associative field analysis of the word derzhava / gosudarstvo / dziarzhava (state (political). Problems of comparative semantics. 11, 3 – 38. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Pzs_2013_11_8 (Accessed 09.2016).
- Terekhova, D.I. (2000). Specificity of words lexical semantics perception (psycholinguistic aspect). Kyiv: Vydavnychyj tsentr KDPU (in Ukr.) .
- Terekhova, D.I. (2009). Taking into account of sociolinguistic factors in psycholinguistic research. Problems of the semantics of words, sentences, text: Zb. nauk. prats’. 22, 399 – 411. Kyiv (in Ukr.).
- Dicţionar semantic bazat pe relaţii de asociere (Victoria Bobicev, conf. univ. PhD, Victoria Maxim, conf. univ. PhD). ULR: http://lilu.fcim.utm.md/asociere/ (Accessed10.2016).
- Jung, (1919). Studies in Word – Association, New-York (SUA).
- Kent, G.H., Rosanoff, J. (1910). A study of association in insanity. American Journal of Insanity, 67 (37–96), 317 – 390. ULR: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/ajp.67.2. 317 (Accessed 08.10.2016).
- Nelson, D.L., McEvoy, G.L., Schreiber, T.A. (1998). The University of South Florida word assosiation, rhyme, and word fragment norms. ULR: http://w3.usf.edu/FreeAssociation/ (Accessed 23.07.2016).
- The Edinburgh Associative Thesaurus. ULR: http://www.eat.rl.ac.uk/ (Accessed 10.2016).