Ukrainian punctuation: achievements, problems, perspectives in specification and codification
Journal Ukrainian Language №3 (67) 2018
PhD, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Ukrainian Language and Literature Donbass State Pedagogical University
19 Batiuka St., Sloviansk 84116, Ukraine
Abstract: The article, considering the preliminary research works in linguistics, circumscribes the origin of Ukrainian punctuation, analyzes necessary conditions for its development, determines and characterizes the principal periods of Ukrainian punctuation as a separate field of Ukrainian linguistics starting with the ancient times and up to contemporaneity, names the linguists who tried to give theoretical grounds of punctuation in Ukrainian linguistics; defines the most significant problems of modern punctuation considering the preliminary achievements, sketches the perspectives of this linguistic field, generalizes the scientists’ assertions in different issues. The author indicates that the issue of Ukrainian punctuation has been activated since the end of the XX-th ct.: the main further steps of Ukrainian punctuation development have been sketched; the essential theoretical principles of punctuation have been revealed; the system of punctuation marks, their functions and the principles of classification (according to their direction of use, their function, repeatability, their correspondence to the punctuation rules, their ability to have a punctuation variant, their structure) have been thoroughly analyzed; attempts to define some new punctuation notions have been done. The productive work of scientists of different generations has resulted not only in a stable system of rules for using punctuation marks but in the theoretical grounds and generalizations which will make up the ground for further researches. The author draws attention to the necessity of the analysis and description of punctuation in modern texts. Having analyzed the modern state of punctuation the author has come to a conclusion that punctuation, being an essential part of Ukrainian grammar, requires a new, accurate and the most complete definition which will enable to generalize and extend modern linguistic researches and being a component of orthography it requires a thorough review, completion, specification and renovation in accordance to the real state of the language.
Keywords: punctuation, punctuation system, punctuation marks, periods of Ukrainian punctuation evolution, principles of punctuation, punctuation rules.
- Androshchuk, N. (2013). Formation of Modern Ukrainian Punctuation System and its representation in orthographical sources. Scientific Bulletin of L. Ukrainka East Ukrainian National University. Philological Sciences. Linguistics. № 22. P. 3 – URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Nvvnuflm_2013_22_3 (Accessed 10.07.2018).
- Bevzenko,P. (1991). History of Ukrainian Linguistics. History of the Ukrainian Language Studies: tutorial for students of teaching training universities. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Bulakhovskyi, L.A. (1947). Ukrainian Punctuation. Punctuation Marks. Lviv (іn Ukr.).
- Buriachok, A. (2004). Punctuation. The Ukrainian Language. Encyclopedia. Kyiv. P. 540 – 541 (іn Ukr.).
- Buriachok, A.A. (1997). What has changed in “the Ukrainian orthography”? Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Valgina, S. (2001). Some Tendencies in Modern Russian Punctuation. Valgina, N.S. Active Processes in Modern Russian: tutorial for university students. Moscow. P. 239 – 286 (іn Rus.).
- Volokh, O.T., ChemerysovT., Chernov Ye.I. (1989). Modern Ukrainian Literary Language. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Hrunskyi, , Myronenko, M. (1930). Punctuation Marks. Kharkiv (іn Ukr.).
- Huivaniuk, N.V., Maksymiuk, O.V., Kytar, F.D., Vandysheva, K.V. (2002). Fundamentals of Punctuation. Chernivtsi (іn Ukr.).
- A Guide to the Ukrainian Orthography. Kyiv, 1984. P. 100 – 135 (іn Ukr.).
- Zahnitko, P. (2001). Theoretical Grammar of the Ukrainian Language: Syntax: monograph. Donetsk (іn Ukr.).
- Kozlenko, V. (2009). Ukrainian Punctuation: tutorial. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Krytskaia, Y. (1991). Punctuation Marks as text forming units (automation of analyzing and wording a scientific text): thesis abstruct… candidate of philological sciences: 10.02.19. Kyiv (іn Rus.).
- Krytska, (2003). Theoretical grounds of Punctuation (to the issue of new orthography). Ukrainian Linguistics: interdepartment scientific collection. 25, 94 – 98. Kyiv. (іn Ukr.).
- Kurdynovskyi, (1931). Punctuation Marks in the Ukrainian Language. Kharkiv (іn Ukr.).
- Moskalenko, A. (1968). History of Ukrainian Orthography (Soviet Period). Odesa (іn Ukr.).
- Moskalenko, A. (1959). Outlines of History of Ukrainian Punctuation Terminology. Odesa (іn Ukr.).
- Neutriievskyi, (1930). Principal Rules of Ukrainian Punctuation. Punctuation Marks. Kharkiv (іn Ukr.).
- Nimchuk, V. (2018). Grammar by M. Smotrytsky – a pearl of ancient linguistics. URL: http://litopys.org.ua/smotrgram/sm01.htm (Accessed 10.07.2018).
- Nimchuk, V.V. (2018). Systematic Textbook of the Church Slavonic Language “Slavonic Grammar” by L. Zyzaniia. URL: http://litopys.org.ua/zyzgram/zy01.htm (Accessed 10.07.2018).
- Ohiienko, I.I. (1927). Outlines of history of the Ukrainian Language: the System of Ukrainian Orthography. Warsaw (іn Ukr.).
- Ozhohan, V. (2009). Syntaxes of the Ukrainian Language: tutorial. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Rusanivskyi, M. (1962). New in the Ukrainian Orthography. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Savchenko, I.S. (2008). Punctuation of Modern Ukrainian Language. Cherkasy (іn Ukr.).
- Sehin, L.(2011). Ukrainian Punctuation Reading Book. Sloviansk (іn Ukr.).
- Simovych, (1919). Ukrainian Grammar Manualnfor Self-Tuition. Kyiv – Leipzig (іn Ukr.).
- Smal-Stotskyi, S., Hartner, F. (1914). Russian Grammar. Vienna (іn Ukr.).
- The Ukrainian Language. Encyclopedia. (2007). Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Ukrainian Orthography NAS Ukraine, Potebnia Institute of Linguistics. (2015). Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Shabat-Savka, S.T., Maksymiuk, O.V., ShatilovaO. (2016). Ukrainian Punctuation: tutorial. Chernivtsi (іn Ukr.).
- Shevelov, Yu.V. (2002). Ukrainian Linguists’ Portraits. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).
- Shulzhuk, K.F. (2010). The Syntax of the Ukrainian Language: textbook. Kyiv (іn Ukr.).